If you know of a space event that is happening in the Houston area please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following list is compiled from many sources including:
- https://naturalsciences.rice.edu/ – Rice Science Cafe and other Rice Science events
- http://spacefrontiers.rice.edu/ – Houston Spaceport Frontier Lecture Series
- https://spacecenter.org/event/thought-leader-series/ – Space Center Houston – Thought Leader Series
- https://spacecenter.org/event/ – Space Center Houston Events
- https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/calendar/ – Lunar and Planetary Institute – Planetary Science Events Calendar
- https://www.lpi.usra.edu/seminars/ – Lunar and Planetary Institute Seminar Series
- https://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/events/ – Lunar and Planetary Institute Public Events
- https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Secret-Science-Club/ – Houston Science Enthusiasts MeetUp
- https://www.astronomyhouston.org/ – Houston Astronomical Society
- https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/ – Launches
- https://spacepolicyonline.com/events/list/ – Space Policy Now – Space Events (many of which are live streamed)
- https://www.nasa.gov/solve/explore_opportunities – NASA Solve competition opportunities
- https://blogs.nasa.gov/educationexpress/ – NASA Education Express – Educational resources, workshops, funding opportunities, fellowships, competitions, internships, webcasts
- https://www.nasa.gov/calendar/ – NASA Calendar
- https://www.txstate-epdc.net/event-post/ – NASA Stem Engagement & Educator Professional Development Collaborative (EPDC)
LAUNCH: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 – Falcon 9 • SpaceX CRS 21 – Launch site: Cape Canaveral, Florida – A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch a Dragon 2 spacecraft on its first cargo resupply mission to the International Space Station. The flight is the 21st mission by SpaceX conducted under the Commercial Resupply Services contract with NASA.
EVENT: Saturday, September 5, 2020- 2:00-4:00 PM – ONLINE – Monthly NSS North Houston Space Society Meeting.
TRAINING OPPORTUNITY: September 18-23, 2020 – Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL. – PoSSUM Scientist-Astronaut Class 2001. Webinars start on 31 August (DEADLINE: August 1, 2020) For those holding a B.S. Degree from an accredited university, the PoSSUM Scientist Astronaut Qualification Program at the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is a five-day, fully immersive training program that will provide the skills required to effectively conduct research on the next generation of commercial space vehicles as part of Project PoSSUM. Designed and instructed by former NASA astronaut instructors and PoSSUM team scientists, the PoSSUM Scientist Astronaut Qualification Program combines three weeks of webinar instruction followed by one-week of intensive training including high-G training, crew resource management training, spacesuit training, high-altitude training, biometric analysis, and PoSSUMCam operations. You will also receive comprehensive instruction on noctilucent cloud science, observational history, research methods from some of the world’s leading noctilucent cloud scientists, then learn to use real PoSSUM Instruments on customized simulations of actual PoSSUM research flights, using the most modern training facilities available. Upon graduation, you will be fully trained and qualified to participate in PoSSUM graduate specializations, become a PoSSUM educator, or to fly to space as a PoSSUM Scientist Astronaut! https://projectpossum.org/science-programs/scientist-astronaut-program/
TRAINING OPPORTUNITY: September 18-25 , 2020, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL. – Advanced PoSSUM Space Academy. Similar to the PoSSUM Scientist-Astronaut Program but taught at a more qualitative level, the Advanced PoSSUM Space Academy at Embry-Riddle is a hands-on and immersive program designed for advanced high-school and undergraduate students interested in upper-atmospheric research, bioastronautics, science communication, and human space flight operations. Graduates may enroll in all PoSSUM Graduate Programs. DEADLINE: August 1, 2020 ( https://projectpossum.org/science-programs/possum-space-academy/ )
EVENT: September 26, 2020 – International Observe the Moon Night (http://Moon.NASA.gov/Observe)
HACKATHON: October 2-4, 2020 – NASA International Space Apps Challenge https://www.spaceappschallenge.org/
EVENT: Saturday, October 3, 2020- 2:00-4:00 PM – ONLINE – Monthly NSS North Houston Space Society Meeting.
EVENT: October 4-10, 2020 – World Space Week – Multiple events celebrating space: https://www.worldspaceweek.org/
EVENT: October 12-16, 2020 – Dubai, United Arab Emirates – 71st International Astronautical Congress (IAC) – http://iac2020.org/
EVENT: Friday/Saturday, November 6-7, 2020 – Austin, TX – New Worlds Conference – https://earthlightfoundation.org/newworlds/
EVENT: Saturday, November 7, 2020- 2:00-4:00 PM – ONLINE – Monthly NSS North Houston Space Society Meeting.
EVENT: Saturday, December 12, 2020- 2:00-4:00 PM – ONLINE – Monthly NSS North Houston Space Society Meeting.